Sunday 1 September 2013

Birthday Reflections


There's a whole log available, but the terrapins all want the same space
I celebrated my birthday last Thursday at Umlani Bushcamp in the Timbavati Nature Reserve. One of the highlights was a chance to spend a couple of hours on my own in a treehouse hide overlooking Marco’s Dam.

There’s something about being alone in the wilds of Africa, something precious. Not another person around, not a single dwelling, no mechanical sounds or smells. Just nature. Just you.

From my elevated perch, I looked out across the landscape and waited. Gradually my eyes took in the greater picture on the far side of the dam: a pair of African hawk eagles and a juvenile bateleur scanning for prey, a grey heron stalking the edge of the dam, a flock of guineafowl hugging the bushes for shade, a crocodile soaking up the sun’s heat.

Impala mirrors
I turned to look behind me and realised that a herd of impala had magically appeared. Slowly they made their way around the dam, grazing the short grass before slaking their thirst and giving me a chance to admire their reflections in the water. 

On the far side, a giraffe with a wonky ear ambled up and bent down awkwardly to drink her fill. So ungainly when stooping low, so regal at full stretch. Again and again, she lowered her mouth to the water then raised it up to swallow and gaze around, droplets splashing between her contorted legs. 

So ungainly, so regal
Out of the corner of my eye I spotted more movement. A male steenbok picked his way across the grassy plain, his little pointed horns carried proudly upright. It gave me a thrill to know that this secretive little creature was completely oblivious to the fact that he was being watched.

What a way to mark a birthday, surrounded by Nature’s gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment