Monday 20 July 2009

A Nest of Trouble

Sociable wasps are decidedly unsociable. Like overgrown winged ants, these creatures get their name from their communal nests segmented rather like the honeycombs that bees build. They’re obviously very nice to their own kind, but let a mere human get too close and they respond with intense hostility.

I love pottering in my garden, losing myself in the flower beds for hours on end. I go out to feed the koi and stop to pull out a weed on the way. Before I know it, I’ve pulled out dozens, the sun has raced across the sky and the koi are still hungry.

There’s a rock in one section of the garden, placed there as a feature. One flatish side is perfect for building a sociable wasp nest. I found this out one day as I was pulling weeds and ventured too close. An angry monster flew at my hand, resulting in several minutes of throbbing pain.

Over the next few weeks, I kept forgetting about these hostile inhabitants. Again and again, deep in thought, I’d wander too close and get stung. They’re remarkably effective at banishing intruders.

Indeed, Nic, one of our neighbours, believes we should encourage them to set up home around the house. When I went to visit him to discuss Neighbourhood Watch issues, he took great delight in pointing out the sociable wasp nest above an outside door. Great deterrents against burglars, he reckons.

The problem, though, is that these unsociable dive-bombers won’t discriminate between friend and foe. And the last thing you want is to deter your friends.

A couple of years ago, I watched with trepidation as a nest started to develop on the decking above our entertainment area. I left it because nature reigns supreme in our corner of paradise – and also because I was intrigued to see what would happen.

Fortunately, as time has shown, the wasps are far enough above our heads to not feel threatened by us. I keep a wary eye on them, nevertheless – and refrain from mentioning them to our friends. 

1 comment:

  1. I too have a love hate relationship with wasps...love the solitary mud wasps, and am really scared by the threats of the common kind

    ReplyDelete